Monday 30 August 2010

My last year of my twenties

Yesterday was my 29th birthday and I had a really great day thanks to Adam and the kids.  I was woken up at about 7.30am with the kids bringing in their cards and presents and the cards that had come through the post for me.  They sang happy birthday to me and then I opened my things.  I got lots of cards, some money and a necklace from Lisa.  Also I was having a haircut later as my present from Adam, but he also put in a Next voucher in my card which was a nice surprise.  Lani had written her card to me herself so that was very sweet and Zach had had some help and then tried to write over it himself too so it was covered in scribbles :)

After that I had breakfast in bed - which was a whoopie pie left over from the night before and a hot chocolate.  The night before we had friends over - Sandy and Jake, Angie and Steve and Janine.  Sandy had brought the whoopie pies - sort of chocolate cakey disc things with marshmallow cream in between.

Then we got up and ready to go to Grimsby for my haircut.  Got there 5 mins late, for which the woman on the front was very snotty, but came out feeing pretty good, having got a good quality haircut.  Straight after that we had the Baby Naming Day thing nearby for a friend from work - Emma Vickers who I shared a tutor group with at Monks Dyke.  We've never been to one before, so we didn't really know what to expect.  I would say it was most like a wedding reception, but smaller.  There were speeches from the grandfathers and the parents and a song from the aunties.  It was nice, but we didn't really know anyone, apart from a couple of other people I knew from work.
New haircut
After that we popped back in to Grimsby so I could do some shopping and spend my birthday money.  We agreed beforehand that we'd only spend an hour there because the kids were getting fed up and if I hadn't found anything by then I would come back on my own another time.  But I did manage to do some super speedy shopping and got a couple of things - a pair of jeans and a shirt and scarf.  I love them both already :)  I also saw another shirt that I liked but they didn't have it in my size, so I was going to order it when I went to buy the first shirt, when I saw they had a leaflet to get £10 off when you make your first online order - so I got the girl to write down the details of the top I wanted and then came home and ordered it online with £10 off that evening - very pleased with myself!
Birthday clothes :)
So after the shopping we went home and Adam told me to go put my feet up while he sorted out some tea for the kids and put them to bed - possibly the best present ever! :D  So I went upstairs and chilled out for a bit.  After a while Adam called me downstairs and when I got to the living room they had a cake ready with candle and sang me happy birthday.  I was pretty impressed because Adam had managed to keep that a surprise too :)  And it was a gorgeous chocolate Thorntons one too, hmmm...... Which, by the way, is gorgeous warm with ice cream.

I also got lots of messages from family and friends wishing me a happy birthday.

That was my lovely birthday, which probably doesn't sound like much now it's written down :) but it was a day full of being made to feel special by my lovely little family and being able to pull rank on any decision with the simple statement "it's my birthday..." :D

1 comment:

Amy speaks but does she have anything to say... said...

Sounds like you had a great day Bex. And the haircut looks really good. I was a few minutes late for my hiar appointment too but the girl on the desk was lovely :) But then I was only paying £19 and yours was probably a lot more! I think the more you spend the snootier they feel entitled to be. Surely they should be nicer to you!!