Sunday 9 September 2012

Our Story (part 4) - the proposal

Previous parts to his story can be found here: Part 1Part 2, Part 3

After I got back from my trip to New Zealand I did some serious thinking and praying about our relationship.  I found it quite difficult to feel like I'd come to a conclusive answer and studied up quite a bit about personal revelation.  I also read a book by John Bytheway called What I wish I'd known when I was a young single adult.  There was a section that talked about how when we're praying to know if we're doing the right thing Heavenly Father sometimes won't step in just to tell us, yes, you're doing the right thing.  He will definitely let us know if we've decided on the wrong thing and then asked him if it's right, but if we're doing ok and making good choices, he'll let us carry on making decisions for ourselves.  It's kind of the whole reason we're here anyway, to be able to learn and grow and figure out how to make choices without being told every time which way to go.  So if you have a feeling of peace combined with not getting a feeling of "no", you know you're on the right track.  It takes a while to recognise the ways that Heavenly Father tries to communicate with you personally, and it can be very different for different people.  I learned that I fall into this category of "carry on until you feel it's a no".  I rely heavily on that feeling of peace and calm to know I'm on the right track and when I start to feel unsettled and lose that peace I know I've started on something that's not the best thing for me.

I felt good and peaceful about the decision that I should marry Adam.  The next step was to try and let him know that.  To give him the green light, so to speak.  We had many conversations skirting round the edges of marriage, but it's dangerous ground when you're dating! I decided to go for a not so subtle, but definitely non-confrontational way of letting him know I was ready for The Question.  I went to a friend's wedding and got Lovehearts (the sweets) as wedding favours.  I happened to get one that said Marry Me.  I kept it and later slipped it into Adam's scriptures.  He never let on when he found it.

A couple of weeks later we were watching a movie in his tiny room (proportionally you could probably call it a cinema if you compare the size of the TV to the sitting space in the room) and afterwards we were talking when the conversation took a sudden turn...

Adam: *in a semi-jovial tone* Shall we scare our parents and get married?
Me: *pause* Are you asking me?
Adam:  umm.... I don't know
Me:  Well, you decide if you're asking me and I'll answer.
Adam: *thoughtful pause* Will you marry me?
Me: Yes

Turns out Adam had a plan to propose to me about a month later, by taking me up a mountain in Scotland.  However, that would have been as the uni summer holidays started, and me with my practical head on knew it had to be sooner than that so we could be married before going back to uni and get our own place, not needing to find people to take our places in the student houses in the middle of the year.  So the impromptu proposal came about instead.

I went home that evening and told one of my flatmates (followed by silent little squeals in her bedroom) although we'd said we wouldn't tell anyone until we'd told the families.  The next day was Monday and it was very weird.  Surreal to think what had happened the night before.  That evening we called my family and I put Adam on the phone to my Dad.  Mom said she could tell what was happening by Dad's face... I bet it was a picture as Adam asked if he could marry me.  There was a looooong pause before Dad spoke, and then he grilled him on some of his scripture knowledge!  Adam was pretty nervous on our end of the phone, but answered all the questions well and was given the go ahead from Dad.  We were in a quiet room at the instate building while doing all of this, because we were up there for YSA home evening.  So afterwards we came out and had fun telling everyone our news.

No comments: