Wednesday 11 April 2012

My new job

So I realise I've made mention of this in other posts but haven't actually shared the details. After 2 years off to be a stay at home mum, I'm going back to work on 23rd April.

First, some background. I worked through having all the kids and the plan was that it would stay the same when I had Tilly. Except... I was then a mother of 3, aged 5, 1 and 5 months when it was time to start work again. I went back for the start of the school year in September, but within about 3 weeks I knew I couldn't handle it all. I was a zombie, totally in the twilight zone, trying to do a demanding full time job (high school maths teacher by the way) and mum of 2 still very small ones who impacted on my sleep. So I handed in my resignation. I still had to continue through til the end of term (December) because that's how it works in England - you have to hand in your notice by half term and work til the end of the term. So it was 4 months in total of just getting through. I don't actually remember much of it but Adam tells me I just wasn't really conscious :D

So in Dec 2009 I rejoiced in becoming officially unemployed :D I relished being at home with my kids and being able to take Lani to school. I have never once complained of having to do the school run. I didn't get to do it for Lani's first year at school and feel like I missed out. And she did. I think it's a real privilege to be able to take them and pick them up, get to know who their friends are, who the parents are and what their teacher's like. There's opportunity for the teacher to chat to you about little things that have happened that she probably wouldn't bother picking up the phone to call you about. So I've loved being able to do all the things a mum at home can do and just being there for my 3.

But the time has come for the next phase. We really want to buy a house and the prices are so high here that I really need to be earning if we're going to achieve that. Plus, the kids are 3, 4 and 7 now and I think it will be much more manageable. We came to this decision around November last year, after much thought and prayer and work from me to accept it :) Next cane the issue of finding a job. A bit tricky that because of timing. School starts in January here and so it was too late in the year, most vacancies had been filled. And I really wanted to go back to the school I'd worked at when we were here before, but I'd already seen a vacancy come and go back in August before we'd decided I'd go back. I applied for the only one that came through for a school on the shore, but after a few weeks heard back that it had already been filled. I thought that I'd probably missed the boat.

Then one day in February I was having a particularly hard day with the kids. Zach had been playing up recently and he seemed bored. I was getting annoyed this was happening, despite my efforts to try engaging him more and teaching him the read and write. So I stood in the kitchen and prayed something like this: Look Heavenly Father, this isn't working. I'm trying here, but this is not good for me and definitely not for the kids. Something needs to change. I think it would be better for Zach to be in a structured preschool and getting more stimulation than I think I can do. I don't think I can be what he needs at the moment. So please, if that's the next thing for him, please just help me get a job.

Within half an hour I received an email notification of a vacancy. At the exact school I wanted. Talk about direct answer to prayer! (although I didn't tell anyone except Adam about that cos I didn't want to jinx it!). I sent in my application that very afternoon. A few weeks later I was invited in for an interview and ta-dah! Next morning they called up and offered me the job. THE job, the very one I had imagined myself going back to when I did return to work.

And things are falling into place to make it happen. I feel very blessed that my Heavenly Father heard me, answered immediately and with more than I'd even asked for - he gave me exactly what I wanted, not just what I needed.


Apologies for a post without pictures, I do try to put pictures in wherever possible because no one wants to just read a huge passage of text :) But I don't think it would have helped my chances if after the interview I asked to take a picture with them all so I could blog about it after they offer me the job...

2 comments:

Anna said...

that's fab bex, good luck with the job and saving up for the house!!

JROD said...

Good stuff! Can't beat a direct answer to prayer! In a reverse situation, I was laid off from work the day after a similar prayer/fastng experience. It was a shock as we had just bought our house and Jarod was not quite graduated from Uni or working fulltime yet, but it all worked out perfectly. The Lord's plan for each of us is unique, but right! Go for it. Love Sara