Monday 13 June 2011

Ka mate, ka mate!

Leilani is really thriving in school at the moment.  She got another certificate for her work last week - a piece of writing showing the similarities and differences between a nail and a screw.  She was over the moon when she came out to of school to tell me.  And then a day or two later she had a different teacher (I think a supply teacher or possibly student teacher, couldn't really tell from what Lani could tell me, anyway, I digress....) and she was put on the "good" list for the day and two from the list were chosen at random for a prize - she got picked from what she called the "dippy luck" :D and got to choose a little stationary pack for her prize.

And in other news.... Adam was away in Tonga last week and had an amazing time by the sound of it - got to do some touristy things while he was there.  Meanwhile back at home the kids were pushing me to my limits... it's just that age, or so I've been told and I'm hanging on to that bit of hope that "this too shall pass"!  Tilly and Zach have a few favourite things to do at the moment.  One is to push Tilly's mattress off the bed base and remove all the sheets and covers.  They also like to collect up all sorts of things that are to hand and throw them out the bedroom window.  And no amount of telling off stops them from doing it again.  They just need 5 mins of me looking some other way to get back at it again.  In fact they did both of those things at least twice today.  And when it came to bedtime and we were looking for Leilani's pyjamas and dressing gown (which I *knew* I'd tidied up and put on her bed) I discovered a pile of things outside her bedroom window.  I'm feeling a bit stretched thin trying to keep on top of them both at this intensive 2-3 age.

We had the ward cultural night on Saturday which was fun.  Got to see some presentation and dances from some different cultures we have in the ward - Cook Islands, Kidibus, Phillipines, Korea, Britain and Mauri (hope I didn't miss any out!).  It was a lot of fun.  I especially liked the Phillipines dance - kind of like playground elastics, except the "elastic" was long bamboo trunk that the men were banging on the floor and moving in and out to make the beat while the girls danced in and out of them.  And the Mauri stuff finished off the evening and was really cool too.  I think it's the first time I've seen it all done in person (not on TV or something) and it was really inspiring.

No comments: