Wednesday 19 January 2011

Random Act of Kindness

Today a very small thing that someone else (a total stranger in fact) did had a big impact on me.  It made my day.

I was walking along with Tilly in the pushchair when a man walking in front of us pulled something out of his pocket and a five pound note fell out without him noticing.  Another mum and I noticed and both went to get it to give it back to him, but since she was walking the opposite direction I said I'd catch up with him and give it back.  So I caught up to him and handed it back, the wind caught it and it fluttered off again.  We chased it down and he picked it up and turned to me and said "here, you keep it for your kid".  What a lovely thing to do!  And I bet he didn't realise how much of a difference that small selfless spur of the moment decision made to my day.  Well of course I went off to finish my shopping with a smile on my face.  And then Tilly and I got a happy meal each with the fiver.  And she ate the lot (she doesn't eat well) so even more of a bonus!

If you get a fleeting moment to do a random act of kindness for a stranger, grab the opportunity and do it without thinking.  Wouldn't it be lovely if we all came across someone doing that each day?

No comments: